Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Masterpiece or Paint-by-number?


I love Paul's words in Ephesians 2:10, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Check out the same verse in the Amplified version (it's got some really great nuances that flesh out the meaning), "For we are God’s [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live]."

That word "workmanship" is poiƩma in the original Greek...where we get the word poetry. We are God's workmanship, His handiwork, His masterpiece. When an master artist sets out to create a new piece of artwork, he doesn't make carbon copies of previous masterpieces. A master artist would not succumb to mass producing "paint-by-number" artwork where every piece he creates is exactly the same, using exactly the same colors, exactly the same perspective, etc. How about a definition of "masterpiece"?

  1. A work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship.
  2. An artist's or craftsman's best piece of work.
Sounds like a lot of originality at work there, doesn't it? Ponder the fact that God created each of us as a masterpiece, His handiwork. So let me ask you a question...why do we sometimes insist that the people around us be more like a paint-by-number? And that paint-by-number needs to be "colored" according to their standards. In my own life, I've experienced people telling me that I need to do a certain thing or act a certain way in order to be considered "spiritual". Can I just tell you, it took me a number of years to get to the point of realizing that God created me to be me. Not you. Not the lady down the street. Not the guy in the next pew. Me. And that's OK. I remind myself that God looks at my heart, not my outward appearance. (1 Samuel 16:7).

Sacred Pathways: Discover Your Soul's Path to God
So are you embracing being God's handiwork? Are you encouraging those around you...your children, your friends, your family...to discover just who God has called them to be, the paths He has prepared for them to walk?

 There's a great book called Sacred Pathways that explores this idea in greater depth. If you're interested in learning more about how to CELEBRATE the different ways that God created you and those around you to worship Him, check it out!

Click here to find Sacred Pathways on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment