Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Faith at Home Testimony

At our church "faith at home" is a primary focus in our children's and youth ministries. We seek ways as a church to partner with parents so that the gospel is a part of daily living, not just a "Sunday only" kind of pursuit. Over the upcoming weeks, I'll be featuring some guest blog posts from young adults who have grown up with "faith at home" as a reality and how that has impacted them as they embark into adulthood.

The first guest blogger is Victoria Lee, who is in her final year of college. Parents, Sunday school teachers, and youth workers...be encouraged by what she says!

Growing up in a Christian household, I never really understood the blessing that was given to me. Going to church, saying prayers with my family, listening to the Christian radio in the car - that was all just “normal”. As I've gotten older, I have seen how rare my growing up experience was. Living a life centered around Christianity wasn't optional. I remember “asking Jesus into my heart” during Sunday School when I was about 4 years old.

Although I had church and Christian parents surrounding me my entire life, I did not get serious about making faith my own until it was time for me to graduate high school and go on to college. Don’t get me wrong! I did the youth group thing and went to all of the youth rallies in high school. I loved them! I was very active in church and always liked to volunteer but that was about the extent of my faith. I never had a very deep relationship with God.
As I entered into my college years, I decided to go to a Christian university. Contrary to what most people think, Christian universities have issues with alcohol, drugs, and parties just like secular schools. It is just more hidden and not as “in your face”. My parents raised me to know that those lifestyles were wrong. I knew that if I didn't get serious about trying to grow a personal relationship with God, I would be easily swayed. Luckily for me, the university I attend is very big on nurturing students' spiritual lives. Through weekly convocation times (chapel services three times a week), prayer groups on Tuesday nights (a chance to meet with a small group of girls for Bible study and prayer) and church attendance, I've been able to get a lot more serious about wanting to live a Christian lifestyle. I've come to realize that attending church isn't enough. A relationship with God is all that matters and it is something you need to work for.

Let’s pause a second. I don’t want you all to think I am this perfect Christian college girl. I’m not. I've made bad choices and willingly followed the wrong crowd in college. Even at the times when I have knowingly made the wrong choice, I've always felt that conviction inside. The values my parents raised me with are always going to be a part of me.
So, parents, don’t give up on your kids. Teach your children the Bible starting at a young age. Tell them what is right and wrong. Never stop praying for them.  I’m sure that most parents are familiar with Proverbs 22:6 (NIV) which says, “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” I have experienced this verse to be true in my own life and although I've never really expressed it, I am so very blessed to have been raised in a Christian home.
On behalf of all the young adults who were raised with faith at home (and all the kids who don’t understand the blessing they have yet), thank you to all of the mommies and daddies. Thank you to church families, Sunday school teachers and youth group leaders. All of the time you spent on your knees and in the Word for us does not go in vain. Your lives are making an impact for Christ every single day. Even though most of us will probably never express it verbally, we are so blessed by the Christian influence that has been placed in our lives. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment