Monday, March 9, 2015

Chris's Internship Experience


Our church recently had the privilege of hosting an intern from England for a five-week block placement as part of his final year experience at Bible college. Here he sums up his experience in ministry in rural, northern Maine.


Chris’ Blog Post



So it’s been 5 weeks of Maine and my time has now come to the end. I could reflect on the weather for the next three pages alone probably. The sheer amount of snow, the piercing winds and constant freezing temperatures are more than any Brit normally has to endure. But I would rather reflect on the things about Maine that I didn't know before I came, rather than the things I came to expect.

I never expected there to be so much space. Wild, open forest land as far as the eye can see and the stillness of it all is in comparable to anything I have experience back home.

I never expected the community vibe that this small northern Maine town imbibes. Even on my first day here, when I was still groggy from jet lag, the people here have just been so welcoming and hospitable towards me.

And lastly I never expected that the Lord would be guiding me and building me up for this trip to Maine and during my stay here. My parents used to live out in America years ago and had a number of contacts that they gave me when I was looking for somewhere to go on my internship. The senior pastor at The Church on the Hill was one of those on the list. The reason I first decided to come out to northern Maine was because this pastor was the only person to take a personal interest in my spiritual growth so far. That said to me that this would be a place where people will take an interest in me and not just in what I can do. God has shown me through sermons, conversations and even nature itself the importance to taking care of your spiritual self in everything you do and I feel closer to Him now than I did before coming.

I hope that I have been able to show some of God’s glory in my life as I worked within the church and with the various children and young people. I believe God has big plans for northern Maine.

I finish now with thanks to all I have met and spent time with during these short 5 weeks and a blessing on all. May the Lord grow you and prosper you as you have for me in my time here.

God bless,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment